I presented a data visualization and dashboard design workshop back in November of 2013 with a colleague of mine at the Information Builders Toronto office. In the presentation, I showed off a dashboard design that incorporated some of the concepts that we taught in the workshop.
My colleague and I will be presenting the workshop at Information Builders 2014 User Conference on Monday June 9th from 2:00PM to 3:00PM. Hopefully, you will have a chance to join us.
For those who are interested, I have an implementation of the dashboard in WebFOCUS. I have used multiple techniques here to demonstrate the flexibility of WebFOCUS. The three main techniques I’ve used in my implementation:
- Out-of-box GUI driven implementation
- Gadget approach
- Use of jQuery plugins
Running the application
There are several steps to ensure that the dashboard will run. This section will walk you through them.
Step 1: Setup
- Create an application folder on your Report server called website-ops
Download these files and place them in your website-ops application folder on the Report Server
- Download these files and place them in your baseapp folder on your web server.
- You have the ability to upload Excel files and create synonyms off of them; if you don’t, you’ll have to be creative in how you get the sample data in.
Step 2: Running the dashboard
In the website-ops app folder, look for the file called web_ops_dashboard_clean.htm and run that. If you get 404 errors, you may have to do the following:
- Open it in HTML Composer
- Look for an element called btn_run using the top right drop down list and select that
- Change the display property to ‘not set’
- The button should appear below the dashboard
- It should already be selected; if not, do so
- Right click on the button and select the Hyperlink Properties menu item
- Re-create the links – the iframe has been named to make it obvious which fex file you should hook it up to
This is what your dashboard should look like:
If you are still having problems with getting this to run, shoot me an email at: firstname.lastname@example.org